Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Not-so Chilly Superbowl Waffle


So, I'll admit, waffles and chili are a bit unorthodox for a first post of a blog entitled "Woking in LA," but everyone has to start somewhere. (And to be fair, I did use a wok. Proof below.) And while I'm admitting things, I might as well inform you, the reader, that football isn't really my thing. If you want to curse me for not painting my face and cursing at my TV screen, you can take it up with my parents. However, just because I'm not enthralled with the game, doesn't mean I can't get into the event. Another confession: most teens will use the Superbowl as an excuse to party; today, I used the Superbowl as an excuse to cook.

Jalapeno Waffles
  • 2 cups All-Purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped jalapenos (or to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon jalapeno juice (or to taste)
In a medium bowl, combine first four ingredients and mix. Add milk, oil, eggs, jalapenos, and juice and mix again. At this point you may need to reevaluate how thick or watery your batter is depending on how much juice you used and adjust accordingly. You're looking for a consistency that is pourable, but not runny.
In my waffles, I used sliced jalapenos in a jar and then cut them up, but if you have access to fresh or whole jalapenos, do not hesitate to use them. Once your batter is thoroughly mixed, let sit for 5 to 10 minutes as you pre-heat your waffle iron.


Because of the oil in the batter, you shouldn't need to oil or spray your waffle iron. However, if you feel uncomfortable with this, I won't tell anyone if you do spritz a little oil on your iron. Cook waffles according to your waffle iron's instructions, or to your desired crispiness. Because I was planning to only serve one quarter of the waffle with the chili, I cooked the waffles in separated 1/4ths. If you want to cook a whole waffle and slice them into 1/4ths, I'm perfectly fine with allowing you to do so.

25 Minute Chili
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • jalapenos or poblanos, seeded and chopped, to taste
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans, drained
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • garnish: sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese (or preferred), green onion, etc
In a pot or a wok, brown ground beef. Don't forget to DRAIN THE FAT. (I can't tell you how many times I've been at a friend's house making spaghetti bolognese or tacos or something, and they just leave the fat in the pan for you to digest. I'm not saying you have to dispose of all the fat; I mean a little fat gives it a good flavor, but I speak for your arteries when I plead you to drain your ground beef.) Add onion and jalapeno or poblano and toss. Stir in kidney beans, tomatoes, seasonings, and water. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.

Plate your waffle and put a nice helping of the chili on top. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese, and a few slices of green onion. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment